422 Color Paintings of John Singer Sargent - American Portrait Painter (January 12, 1856 - April 14, 1925)

Category: Books,Arts & Photography,History & Criticism

422 Color Paintings of John Singer Sargent - American Portrait Painter (January 12, 1856 - April 14, 1925) Details

John Singer Sargent book includes 422 high quality reproductions of his greatest masterpieces with title and date.

Reviews

The paintings are exquisite. Unfortunately,My three stars are given solely on the basis of the paintings. The actual book is terrible because it says nothing beyond the name and date of each picture. I am always glad to look upon works which fill my heart with esthetic joy but I yearn for more. I want and need an explanation of what the history of each painting is. What did the artist, if anything, say about a painting? Is there any relevant art criticism of the work? What is the historical and personal context behind each painting? As it stands, this book answers none of those questions. In fact it answers virtually no questions. I am not a young man learning to appreciate superb art. We're that the case, I may have been grateful that this book is uncluttered. Ah well. You cannot please everyone. I am grateful to be reacquainted with the artist's work.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel